FALL COMFORT FOODS
Simple Recipes for Warm, Friendly Dishes
When you are away from home and the weather is getting cold - you don't always want to go out to eat. Luckily every room at our WoodSpring Suites extended stay hotels have well-appointed in-room kitchens. Enjoy the benefits of your extended stay hotel in-room kitchen and get inspired by some of our favorite Simple. Better. Recipes below.
- In a large, deep pot place 2T olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 minced onion and brown with 1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or soy-based meat substitute.
- Add 1 cup water, 28oz. can stewed tomatoes, 28oz. can purreed tomatoes, and 3 lb. canned or cooked beans of your choice/preference.
- Stir in a packet of chili seasonings or your own spices and flavors, to taste and any hot sauces, chocolate syrup, or other additions to make it your own.
- Allow to simmer over medium heat for at least 20 minutes and up to three hours to enrich flavors and reduce moisture (to taste).
- Serve with shredded cheese, chopped onions, crackers or pretzel crumbles, or any other toppings that make you happy.
One Pan, Infinite Cheese
- Over medium heat place a pat of butter in a pan or skillet and allow to melt (but not brown or burn).
- Place one slice of bread, per sandwich, in the pan and top with sliced, American cheese (best melt).
- Top cheese with second slice of bread and flip so second slice of bread can absorb some butter.
- Flip, again, and allow :45 for browning. Repeat until both sides of bread are brown (to your taste).
- Serve with chips, soup, a salad, or a hug.
Warm, Seasonal Beverage
- Purchase a gallon of apple cider or "unfiltered" juice at the local market or farmer's stand.
- Pour 1/2 gallon in to large pot (with lid) and put over medium heat for two minutes.
- Add flavorings including cinnamon, a dash of orange juice, anise, clove, or your favorites.
- Allow to steep/warm for about five minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve in mugs and, as appropriate, with cookies, pie, or other snacks and desserts.
- In a large skillet place the tomato "base" (2T olive oil, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 white onion (minced), and 28oz. stewed tomatoes).
- Allow to simmer and gently warm over a low-medium heat adding salt, pepper, and one teaspoon (each) of cumin and parika.
- After bubbling begins in mixture, crack one medium egg (per serving) and gently pour from shell atop tomato base.
- Cover and let simmer/cook for about eight minutes (whites should be fully cooked, yolks slightly runny).
- Dress with cilantro or basil (or both), feta crumbles or shredded mozzerella, and hot sauce (to taste) and serve on plates.
Melted to Perfection
- In a heated skillet place three tablespoons butter and two ounces heavy cream and 20oz. chocolate chips or crumbled chocolate bars.
- Stir vigirously to ensure thorough warming and avoid burning until mixture is consistent and completely melted.
- Place 16oz. of marshmallows (larger if you have a dessert torch, smaller if you want to simply melt the marshmallows) and remove from heat.
- Cover pan (for heat-induce marshmallow melting) or carefully heat with torch, if appropriate, until topping is gooey.
- Serve immedately and in the warm skillet using graham crackers, banana chips, or other sweet edible for scooping/serving.
DECADENT APPLE (SLICES)
On a Stick, On a Plate
- In a large skillet put 4T butter and stir in 32oz. of either caramel cubes or chocolate chips (to taste/preference) until thoroughly melted, mixed.
- Slice apples in to wedges (about eight-to-ten per apple) removing seeds and core and place on stickets (if desired).
- Dredge apple slices through melted toppings and place on cooling/drying rack.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut, miniature candies, sprinkles, sea salt, etc. and drizzle, as appropriate, with melted peanut butter or chocolate syrup.
- Allow to cool/set and serve on sticks or on a plate or napkin.
CHICKEN & WAFFLES
A Simplified Classic
- Using a waffle iron and your favorite batter recipe - or a toaster and a box of your favorite frozen waffles, prepare two waffles per serving.
- Either pan-fry six ounces of on-the-bone chicken (dredged and seasoned to taste) or pick up a box/bucket of chicken on the way to the hotel.
- "Dress" waffles with butter and honey, maple syrup, spicy sauce, jams or jellies, or a combination of some/all of the above.
- Serve hot and fresh with hot and fresh chicken.
- Repeat until full or out of supplies.
APPLE PIE A LA BOWL
Oven-Free, Fork-Free, Yummy
- In a large skillet place two, 28oz. cans of apple pie filling from the local market and about six sliced, chopped, or wedged apples and/or pears.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture is thoroughly warmed (below a boil) and add cinnamon spice or candies, or other flavors to taste.
- In bowls place two generous scoops of ice cream (we suggest vanilla bean, pistachio, lemon, or honey flavors) and two scoops of apple mixture.
- Top with crushed graham crackers, sliced almonds, granola, vanilla wafers, or any other crunchy/crumbly pie-crust substitute you like.
- Mix the apple mixture and toppings togther until "soupy" but not completely melted. Top with whipped cream and enjoy with a spoon.
Meat, Hearty Sauce, Delicious
- Prepare your favorite meatball recipe (we like a blend of pork, beef, and turkey) and thoroughly brown in a shallow skillet with oil, as needed.
- In a sauce pan warm jarred tomato sauce after adding 2T flour, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and some additional spices to thicken and improve.
- Slice a crusty-outside, soft-inside "sub" or "hoagie" roll for each sandwich and top with three or four meatballs and a serving spoonful, or two, of sauce.
- Top with shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese - the heat from the meatballs and sauce should melt it, you may need to microwave for a few seconds.
- Eat while still warm and with plenty of napkins nearby - just in case.